This position is located at Department of Housing and Urban Development, Asst Secretary for Housing-Federal Housing Commissioner.
This opportunity is also open to Status eligibles under announcement 23-HUD-2025. Please refer to that announcement for details on open period, eligibility, and how to apply.
Open & closing dates – 06/05/2023 to 06/16/2023
As an Underwriter, you will:
- Perform both the desk review of the property appraisal to determine the appropriate HUD estimate of value for proposed construction, existing construction, or substantial rehabilitation and, in certain circumstances, authorizes the issuance of the conditional commitment for home mortgage insurance; makes the determination of credit eligibility of the potential borrower; determines the acceptability of the mortgage for insurance and classification of risk inherent in the mortgage and authorizes the endorsement of the loan and the issuance of the mortgage insurance certificate binding the agency to the commitment through Mortgage Insurance Funds.
- Responsible for monitoring Direct Endorsement (DE) Underwriter and Lender Activities and referring situations and questionable practices that may affect their further participation in HUD/Federal Housing Administration (FHA) programs to the appropriate Field Office or Center Analyses Staff through the Chief Underwriter or Supervisor.
- Comply with governing codes and instructions.
Conditions of Employment
The duty station for this position will be a home-based worksite or other non-HUD owned space anywhere within HUD’s Denver HOC Region, which encompasses the states of Arkansas, Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North and South Dakota, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah, Wisconsin, Wyoming.
- Must be U.S. Citizen or U.S. National.
- A one year probationary period may be required.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation.
- Public Trust – Background Investigation will be required.
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency.
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form i-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
- Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
- Please refer to “Additional Information Section for additional Conditions of Employment.”
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
Specialized Experience: For the GS-12, you must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes:
– Direct Endorsement (DE) Underwriting review of residential property and mortgage appraisals; AND
– DE underwriting of borrowers credit analysis and credit worthiness; AND
– Applying FHA residential property and credit underwriting requirements and procedures to render a credit decision on residential mortgage loan applications.
Experience may have been gained in either the public, private sector or volunteer service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/day/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week on your resume.
The application process is as follows:
- To begin the application process, click the Apply Online button.
- Answer the questions presented in the application and attach all necessary supporting documentation.
- Click the Submit Application button prior to 11:59PM (ET) on the announcement closing date.
- After submitting an online application, you will be notified whether or not you are required to take additional online assessments through the USA Hire Competency Based Assessment system. This message will be delivered to you via email notification. The email may be routed to your “Spam” or “Junk” folder.
- If you are asked to take the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments, you will be presented with a unique URL to access the USA Hire system. Access to USA Hire is granted through your USAJOBS login credentials. Be sure to review all instructions prior to beginning your USA Hire Assessments. Click here for Computer System Requirements
- Note, set aside at least 3 hours to take these assessments; however, most applicants complete the assessments in less time. If you need to stop the assessments and continue at a later time, you can re-use the URL sent to you via email and also found on the Additional Application Information page that can be located in the application record in your USAJOBS account.
To update your application, including supporting documentation, at any time during the announcement open period, return to your USAJOBS account (
https://usajobs.gov).There you will find a record of your application, the application status, and an option to Edit my application. This option will no longer be available once the announcement has closed.
To verify the status of your application both during and after the announcement open period, log into your USAJOBS account at https://www.usajobs.gov. On the Home page, scroll down and locate your job application. Once the job has been located, click the “Track this application” link on the right under the application date. The page will refresh to display the Agency’s Application Information page where you can scroll down and review any notifications the agency has sent you. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Please notify us if your contact information changes after the closing date of the announcement. Also, note that if you provide an email address that is inaccurate or if your mailbox is full or blocked (e.g., spam-blocker), you may not receive important communication that could affect your consideration for this position.
For additional information on how to apply, please visit the Partnership for Public Service’s Go Government website.
To preview the application questionnaire: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11991008